Paddy Cassidy's Irish Pub
The Florida Space 2005 Conference was held at the
A chapter is going to start up in
3. December Event. We discussed having a restaurant meeting or a party at a member's house. The event is not yet defined.
4. IMAX: "Magnificent Desolation" Premiere. The new movie was discussed. This is an excellent IMAX movie.
5. STS-114 Crew
Return Celebration, November 1. This
event was a celebration of the successful mission and was held at the
6. EXPO 2005. We discussed setting out NSS membership brochures at this trade event held at the port. Fred contacted HQ for brochures. Currently, the brochures are not in print, however HQ sent us a PDF brochure that we can print. No brochures were obtained in time for the Expo, but we hope to have a supply for future events.
7. Publicity for the Chapter. Ross talked with media. They will provide coverage if we hold an NSS-unique event that is newsworthy.
8. Zero-G Flights. The first flights by Zero-G Corporation from KSC began on November 5 and 6.
With that the meeting adjourned.
VP and Secretary
...with apologies for the belated minutes.
Prior meeting topics.
1. Space Spring Break
An initiative for a nationwide campaign for a Space Spring Break for students is on the agenda for a possible future project. The concept is to hold an educational and fun event for students.
2. NASA Launch Countdown Live Local Rebroadcast by LISATS
A long-standing wish of Ross Tierney was met at the meeting when a representative of the local ham radio club gave information about how they have a means for picking up the NASA countdown on ham radio and TV and broadcasting it on PA and showing it on TV monitors for gathered crowds. Ross has long sought means for helping launch crowds to be informed of the countdown status. The group is called The Launch Information Service and Amateur Television System (LISATS). We will try to help them, perhaps establishing stations at other popular launch viewing areas. Here is the link: http://www.lisats.org/
Action: Someone to author the "NSS Space Coast Guide to NASA Launch Viewing."
3. Zero-G Flight Educational Outreach
Another possible future project may be for our chapter to raise funds to sponsor a local educator to fly weightless on the Zero-G Corporation vehicle. This vehicle may be coming to use the Shuttle Landing Facility as a base of operations. It may be that Virgin Galactic flights will come to KSC some day too.
4. Publicity Campaign for Meetings
The chapter will begin publicizing meetings in local and regional media.
Action: Rick to contact the Orlando Sentinel. Closed.
Action: Ross to contact CFN 13 and Florida Today. Ross to invite Todd Halvorson to our next meeting. Closed.
Action: Fred to contact the Brevard Technical Journal. Closed.
Also needed: CCTS
5. Rocket Repairs
Some local volunteers are repairing the Titan rocket that
has sat outside
Reference on Ongoing Events
1. Chapter Monthly Social
Our chapter meets monthly on the second Tuesday at 5:30
p.m. These meetings are held at Paddy
The November meeting was replaced by support at Florida Space 2005. The December meeting is to be announced.
2. Speaker Meetings
We will also have quarterly speaker meetings to be widely
publicized. These will take place at the
Florida Space Authority headquarters in
A possible speaker might be Guenter Wendt, who we could
ask to speak at a venue in
3. National Space Club luncheons.